Roll-Up Garage Doors Strengths and Weaknesses
Commercial Roll-Up Garage Doors
Strengths and Weaknesses
Many types of businesses use commercial roll-up garage doors. Some of these include self-storage facilities and warehouses as well as condominium communities. These types of garage doors are designed with productivity and functionality in mind. Commercial garage doors are much like standard garage doors; however, the materials used to construct them are generally much more enduring. This ensures that they can better stand up to daily abuse in an industrial setting.
Materials available for commercial roll-up garage doors include heavy duty steel; fiberglass; aluminum; and wood. There are also non-insulated and insulated options to choose from. A number of horizontal panels are joined by hinges to create a roll-up door. These garage doors can weigh as much as 400 pounds or more. Either a set of extension springs or torsion springs balance this weight. A garage operator may be programmed to allow owners access.
Commercial Roll-Up Garage Door Strengths
A commercial size job requires an industrial size strength. Commercial roll-up garage doors are able to withstand much more abuse than a traditional, residential door. This due to the solid construction and durable materials used in their manufacturing. Commercial Roll-Up doors are constructed to withstand harsh weather elements, vehicle impacts, and intense daily use.
- Commercial roll-up garage doors offer much more than durability. Despite the general consensus there many options for this type of door in the aesthetics department. As mention earlier there are four materials to choose from.
- Colors are another choice which allows owners to coordinate the roll-up door with the company building. Many professionals add their logo to the door. Commercial roll-up garage doors may also be customized to fit non-standard entryways.
- Business owners also have the option to choose between a commercial roll-up garage door automatic operator and manual control by crank. In either case, they are simple to operate and can be equipped with many types of security devices to protect your important assets.
Commercial Roll-Up Garage Door Weaknesses
- It generally requires a trained and knowledgeable professional to install a commercial roll-up garage door. It is a bit complicated and time consuming. Hiring a professional contractor increases the cost of this investment. This is an important as well as mandatory expense. Improper installation may cause extensive damage to valuable property and someone else must be not only be hired, but also paid to rectify the situation.
- The entire process from advice to installation is rather pricy. Another cost is hiring a professional; however, it is well worth it to employ a garage door specialist to install a high quality roll-up garage door. This actually saves a great deal of heartache and money in the long run. Business owners and managers should never allow any contractor to convince them to choose an inferior material simply to save money. A true, honest professional will never ask a client to sacrifice quality to reduce the cost of the installation.
- Commercial roll-up garage doors are extremely noisy during operation which should not be an issue in an industrial environment. On the other hand, residential neighbors may become frustrated.
- Though there are some color and material options, commercial roll-up garage doors do not offer the beauty of other types of doors.
Commercial Roll-Up Garage Door
A Safe Work Environment
One of the most dangerous elements of the work place are commercial roll-up garage doors. These types of doors are extremely heavy and under an immense amount pressure. Improper care and maintenance of a roll-up door can cause great bodily injury as well as death. Those industries that must use commercial roll-up garage doors are responsible for not only ensuring that their doors are up to inspection, but that all employees have been thoroughly trained in operating them.
Not that long ago the United States Department of Energy and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration released clear warnings about essential precautions of operating these types of doors in the work place. One of the first steps to ensuring that the work environment is as safe as possible is to have commercial roll-up garage doors professionally installed and maintained. Vigilance in this area should never be lax as it can introduce a clear and present danger.
All staff members should be instructed in the safe operation of commercial roll-up garage doors. Once understood employees should also be required to sign a list of instructions and safety tips to ensure that they are familiar with these procedures. Below is a list of points to be noted:
- Again, the importance of professional installation and maintenance cannot be stressed enough.
- Ensure that roll-up garage doors are equipped with up-to-date functioning auto reverse infrared sensors.
- Commercial roll-up garage doors require diligently scheduled routine maintenance.
- During maintenance all roll-up doors should be both visually and physically inspected for signs of wear and tear which might cause malfunctions.
- Remove all obstructions from the vicinity of the door, especially prior to operating it.
- Never stand close to a roll-up garage door, particularly while it is in operation.
- Note the position, open or closed, of all commercial roll-up doors at all times.
- Never allow untrained individuals to perform repairs on roll-up doors. Hire only highly trained specialists for these tasks.
- Ensure that all unauthorized individuals, especially children, keep a safe distance between them and the garage door.
While it is vital to employ a professional for installation, repair and maintenance of commercial roll-up garage doors, staff members should also be trained in visual inspection precautions. It is important to carefully examine all roll-up doors on a routine basis to check for warning signs. These signs should be noted, if found, and related to a professional garage door specialist immediately.
One significant malfunction indicator is that the door begins to open and close too rapidly or sluggishly. This is generally due to its aging process. It may require lubrication or small adjustments. It may also mean that certain parts, if not the entire roll-up door, requires a replacement. Others signs to watch for include damage to any components, fraying cables, and loose hardware. This can prevent serious injuries and casualties.
All of these precautions should not be a deterrent from using commercial roll-up garage doors. They are one of the most important, as well as convenient, tools in the work place to drive productivity forward. The experienced team members at Perfect Solutions Garage Door are on standby waiting for inspection and maintenance appointments to be scheduled. Allow our garage door specialist to assist in maintaining a safe work place environment.
Commercial Roll-Up Garage Door Malfunction
Commercial roll-up garage doors are convenient and extremely efficient. They also present significant danger to the work place and employees. One of the most common reasons these types of doors malfunction and cause injuries is due to a lack of proper professional maintenance. Preventive maintenance is essential to maintaining employee safety.
Professional maintenance does not necessarily indicate a requirement to hire someone. Many businesses and factories have a full-time, maintenance department. Those that do not should consider calling Perfect Solutions Garage Door and schedule an appointment with one of our specialist to discuss a routine maintenance program.
Malfunction Prevention Checklist
Commercial roll-up garage doors should be routinely inspected for danger signs about once per month. These doors receive a large amount of use and abuse daily. Check cables; springs; pulleys; and rollers for fraying or worn spots. It is a good idea to have staff members designated for this task and provide them with a checklist so that the complete the steps systematically.
- Commercial roll-up garage doors be cleaned periodically to keep them free of dirt, grime, and debris. This can keep them functioning smoothly for years to come. Consult the manufacturer’s manual and/or contact a garage door specialist.
- It is essential to lubricate the hinges and rollers with a high quality product quarterly or more often depending upon the level of usage.
- Mild detergent may be used to clean weather stripping. Ensure that the detergent is rinsed thoroughly or it may become sticky and inhibit proper operation. Lubricate the stripping with a silicone based lube. This allows the stripping to maintain flexibility.
- The roll-up door’s inside tracks should be visually inspected to ensure that the hardware used to mount it to the wall is not loose and tighten any that is loose.
- Close the roll-up door and from inside the garage inspect its tracks for flat spots and/or dents.
- Clean tracks and rollers well using a concentrated detergent to ensure that all old grease and dirt has been removed. Wipe each dry with a soft cloth.
- If the tracks appear to be misaligned, it is best to call a garage door specialist to readjust them.
- Inspect the hinges which join the sections to see if any need tightening or replacing.
- Use a powdered graphite or spray lube to lubricate moving components. A silicone type or household oil.
A Word to the Wise
Many types of businesses rely on the functionality of their roll-up doors for productivity. It is extremely important to ensure that they function properly at all times. One of the best ways to do that, especially for exceptionally busy individuals, is to seek a professional garage door contractor for all commercial roll-up garage door issues including maintenance and repair. Perfect Solutions Garage Door will be happy to visit your business site to discuss any repair or function issues that you may be experiencing. We can also set your company up with routinely scheduled maintenance and inspection visits. Leaving your garage door matters to us will allow you to attend to more pressing productivity and company affairs.