When replacing the garage door springs it is really important to use the right type and size of spring.
If it’s too small the door will be very heavy and might fall or damage the garage door opener. Also the spring might snap faster.
When choosing the right size of garage door spring the technician will have to figure out the weight of the door by using a special type of measuring tool.
After he determine the weight of the garage door he will be able to offer 2 option:
- A single spring system – typically used on a one car garage
- Double spring system – made for two car garage.
It is always an option to install a single spring system on a two car garage but it come with few disadvantages:
- Safety – When using a single spring system there is always the risk that the spring might snap while the door is traveling up or down. In this case if it happen the door will fall rapidly and might hurt someone or damage property.
- Life span – Single spring will not last as long as a double spring system.
- The Door might be a bit heavier which will wear out the automatic opener with time.
When using a double spring system you will have the following advantages:
- If a spring snap while the door is traveling the other spring will support the door and it should not fall down. It is very rare for both springs to snap at the same time.
- Double springs system will outlast a single spring system by many years sometimes even twice as long.
- The door will be so light that your garage door opener won’t have to make much effort to lift the door up or push it down.
Here is a picture of the old spring vs the new springs we installed.
This door in El Dorado Hills CA, is only 4 years old and the spring already broke.