The average garage door usually remains functional for many years as long as it receives proper maintenance. A large number of parts began to wear down after about 8 and 10 years. Many parts are integral to the safe function of your garage door and inspection combined with maintenance is essential. Visual inspection can help prevent garage door mishaps.
Garage doors are extremely dangerous and many home owners do not realize exactly how dangerous they can be. These are very heavy and under intense pressure. One slip or snap could mean bodily harm or death. At the very least it can cause damage to property and incur expensive costs to complete repairs not only to other property such as vehicles, but to repair the door as well.
Prevent the Most Common Garage Door Injuries
Below is a list of the most common injuries, their causes, and how to prevent them. It is important to set strict rules about the operation of garage doors It is also vital that those allowed to do so know exactly how to operate them safely. Garage doors are not toys and should never be played with.
- Do not allow children or anyone else play with the garage door. This includes operation buttons and controls. This can result in horrible injuries and, in some cases, death every year. Be sure all people, animals, and objects are completely clear of the garage door when it is in operation. Control buttons should be mounted no less than 5 feet high.
- Children often try to race the garage door to see if they can beat it while it is closing. This is an extremely dangerous act and should never be referred to as a game. The garage door is heavy and can break bones or even kill anyone trapped.
- Fingers and hands are reported as crushed or pinched in emergency rooms more than 7,000 times every year. Ensure that all people and their appendages are clear of the door before attempting operation.
- In the event that the garage door has suffered any type of impact a garage door specialist should be called upon. The door may have suffered unseen, but extremely dangerous damage. He/she can inspect it for damage and repair it so that it is in safe working order once again.
- Malfunctioning garage door openers are dangerous as well. Electricity can not only cause severe burns, but it can kill you. Be sure to contact a qualified professional technician, if you have no experience repairing and working with wiring.
Be Safe: Go with a Pro
Always contact a garage door specialist for repairs and/or maintenance. These individuals are highly trained and are well aware of all of the associated precautions. Inexperienced individuals should never attempt to repair, replace, or complete maintenance on any garage door, especially to springs and safety cables. There are a number of tests that the tech will perform as well as a visual inspection during maintenance to ensure it continues to operate safely.
We at Perfect Solutions Garage Door are highly trained professional garage door techs. Our highest priority is your satisfaction and your family’s safety. Give us a call and allow us to take the worry out of your hands today. A malfunctioning garage door should be addressed immediately for the safety of the entire home.