More and more home owner are considering glass for their garage doors. Most all garage doors will require replacement at some point and time, especially if the family spends several decades in the home. Many home owners replace their garage doors to simply give their homes a fresh, new look. There is a wide range of options to consider when garage door shopping in today’s market.
Glass for garage doors has many advantages and, of course, it has a few disadvantages. A garage door specialist is best qualified to provide your family with these as well as all of your exciting options. Remember that a new garage door is an extremely important home investment which should be carefully weighed before making any commitment.
Glass Door Advantages
As mentioned, glass for garage doors offers several benefits. For example, glass lends a sophisticated appeal to the entire home. This increases the value of the home and the property for resale. It can also be beneficial, if there are strict zoning regulations for curb appeal. Consider some of these other benefits.
- Home owners have the choice to coordinate the windows in their new garage door with their home’s windows offering it a bit of personalization and customization.
- Smaller glass windows along the upper portion of the garage door can allow natural light to enter the garage. This is especially beneficial, if the garage doubles as a home office, rec room, or workshop. Natura light will immediately banish the dark and gloom that often plagues garages.
- Glass offers many stylish options because of the variety of sizes and shapes. It is also possible to find stained or tinted options as well, if the family wants to retain the shade in the garage area.
- Professionally installed glass garage doors are made of sturdy and durable materials. They generally only require simple, minimal routine maintenance. Rust is not generally an issue for these types of doors either.
Disadvantages of Glass Garage Doors
All decisions, purchases, and investments have at least a few disadvantages. The goal should be to weigh the pro against he cons in order to decide which suits your family and home best. For example, home owners often find that glass for the garage door, while absolutely gorgeous, is also one of the more expensive options. Opting for glass can increase the cost by anywhere from $200 to over $500.
- Many home owners decide against glass for security and safety reasons. Glass makes it easier for criminals to not only see into the home, but to gain entrance.
- Though insulated glass is available it is not generally air tight like those with no glass.
- The insulated type glass is also more expensive.
- Installation of the glass may take a bit longer than standard garage doors.
- Glass is much more fragile and is susceptible to stray ball or storm ravaged tree limb.
Contact One of Our Pros
The crew at Perfect Solutions is made of caring professionals who are at your disposal. Call one of our highly trained garage door techs today to discuss the installation of your brand new garage door complete with beautiful glass windows. We offer an extremely wide array of comprehensive garage doors services and would be delighted to start your project today.