One of the most common complaints that homeowners have is that their garage door makes too much noise. There are several items to consider, if the garage door noise has increased. It is important to first determine the cause because it may be a warning that something more serious.
Many of the causes of the increased noise are rather simple to fix, especially for experienced DIYers. Of course many times it is not the knowledge, but time that prevents them from completing these tasks. All of the things are very good reasons to call a garage door specialist to ask for advice.
Components to inspect for the cause of the noise include loose hardware, lack of lubrication, worn out rollers, and faulty door opener anti-vibration pads. All of these things may be rectified by anyone handy around the house. Below is a comprehensive list of inspect items to determine the issue.
• Garage door hardware loosens with use and can create a great deal of noise during operation. Use a socket or traditional wrench to systematically tighten all of the hardware.
• The second cause may be that they are so worn that they have begun to squeak when they move. A quality lubricant may do the trick, if the rollers are still in good shape. Non-silicone lube is best for metal rollers; however, if they are nylon, lubricate the bearings only and do not use any lubricant for nylon rollers.
Note: WD-40 is not a lubricant, but a powerful cleaner. Never lubricate the tracks with anything. This may cause the garage door to become unbalanced due to slippage. It may be wise to consult a professional for the lubrication or replacement process.
• Springs which are in need of lubrication tend to make a great deal of racket. A metal lubricant or motor oil may be used for them. Home owners should be aware that while this is a simple task, it is also extremely hazardous. Due to intense pressure it may result in injury to persons, death, or damage to personal property. Call a garage door tech for safety.
• Move garage door hinges from side to side to inspect for damage and wear. If these are worn, they will need replacement. If the hinges are not worn, they may simply need lubrication.
• Inspect the tension on the trolley apparatus to determine if it is loose as well as whether it is a belt drive or chain drive system. A metal lube may be used for a chain drive system. A belt drive system should never be lubed or greased. Check the garage door and opener instruction manuals for exact directions. In the event that the manuals have been lost, they most likely can be downloaded for free from the respective websites.
• Note that many types of concrete garages are noisy in general even when functioning properly. The concrete amplifies the noise from the garage door operation. It may be possible to insult the garage door supports to dampen the noise.
Let Us Get Started
Our professional garage door crew at Perfect Solutions Garage Door consists of highly trained specialists. Contact us for any questions or concerns and we will be more than happy to address them. We can take care of all of your garage door needs whether you simply have no time, no knowledge, or do not have the proper tools for your project.