It can cause a bit of confusion when home owners are contemplating whether they should replace their garage doors or simply replace one panel. In some cases, small repairs can be enough to have your garage door operating smoothly again. There are situations when the only option is to replace the whole door. There are a couple of key points which can help make the decision much less complicated.
Inspection and Detection
The first step in making this important decision is to visually inspect the entirety of your garage door. Look for dents, scratches, and warping. In most cases, this type of damage is considered cosmetic in nature. These types of issues may only require a bit of fixing and perhaps a single panel replacement. Even though this is simple it should not be postponed. Any type of repair should be completed as soon as possible.
A small amount of damage, if not addressed immediately, could result in further damage to the garage door as well as additional repair costs. In the event that this delay causes further damage to the structure or safety features, it could jeopardize family safety. Garage doors are extremely heavy objects under immense pressure and one slip could mean grave bodily injury and/or death not to mention property damage.
- If more extensive damage is found upon inspection the entire garage door may require replacement. Look for deep scratches and/or dents as well as structural damage. Damage that has been caused by an impact should be inspected by a trained professional.
- A garage door which does not open and close properly may only need a few specific parts to be repaired and/or replaced. One simple fix for this is to reset the switch for the motor casing assembly.
- Depending upon the local climate, the garage door may need adjustment between seasons. Be sure to make these adjustments in very small increments or it could damage the door further and the whole door may have to be replaced.
- Common components that often require replacement are rollers, springs, and/or its tension rods which traverse horizontally or diagonally on the inside of the garage door.
- Garage doors require proper routine maintenance which includes cleaning and lubrication. Debris and dirt can literally gunk up the works and cause the garage door to operate slowly or even simply not operate.
Call a Garage Door Pro
The first consideration should not be to replace your entire garage door. Many times the panel may not even need replacement for minor cosmetic damage. It is often best to contact a professional garage door technician to sort this out. Our knowledgeable team at *insert name* is waiting for your call now. The difference in the cost of replacing your entire garage door and replacing a single panel can be several hundred dollars. Allow us to assess your situation to determine which is best for your family.