A Safe Work Environment
One of the most dangerous elements of the work place are commercial roll-up garage doors. These types of doors are extremely heavy and under an immense amount pressure. Improper care and maintenance of a roll-up door can cause great bodily injury as well as death. Those industries that must use commercial roll-up garage doors are responsible for not only ensuring that their doors are up to inspection, but that all employees have been thoroughly trained in operating them.
Not that long ago the United States Department of Energy and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration released clear warnings about essential precautions of operating these types of doors in the work place. One of the first steps to ensuring that the work environment is as safe as possible is to have commercial roll-up garage doors professionally installed and maintained. Vigilance in this area should never be lax as it can introduce a clear and present danger.
All staff members should be instructed in the safe operation of commercial roll-up garage doors. Once understood employees should also be required to sign a list of instructions and safety tips to ensure that they are familiar with these procedures. Below is a list of points to be noted:
- Again, the importance of professional installation and maintenance cannot be stressed enough.
- Ensure that roll-up garage doors are equipped with up-to-date functioning auto reverse infrared sensors.
- Commercial roll-up garage doors require diligently scheduled routine maintenance.
- During maintenance all roll-up doors should be both visually and physically inspected for signs of wear and tear which might cause malfunctions.
- Remove all obstructions from the vicinity of the door, especially prior to operating it.
- Never stand close to a roll-up garage door, particularly while it is in operation.
- Note the position, open or closed, of all commercial roll-up doors at all times.
- Never allow untrained individuals to perform repairs on roll-up doors. Hire only highly trained specialists for these tasks.
- Ensure that all unauthorized individuals, especially children, keep a safe distance between them and the garage door.
While it is vital to employ a professional for installation, repair and maintenance of commercial roll-up garage doors, staff members should also be trained in visual inspection precautions. It is important to carefully examine all roll-up doors on a routine basis to check for warning signs. These signs should be noted, if found, and related to a professional garage door specialist immediately.
One significant malfunction indicator is that the door begins to open and close too rapidly or sluggishly. This is generally due to its aging process. It may require lubrication or small adjustments. It may also mean that certain parts, if not the entire roll-up door, requires a replacement. Others signs to watch for include damage to any components, fraying cables, and loose hardware. This can prevent serious injuries and casualties.
All of these precautions should not be a deterrent from using commercial roll-up garage doors. They are one of the most important, as well as convenient, tools in the work place to drive productivity forward. The experienced team members at Perfect Solutions Garage Door are on standby waiting for inspection and maintenance appointments to be scheduled. Allow our garage door specialist to assist in maintaining a safe work place environment.